These low-carb chicken and waffle bites are absolute eye candy. We fry up some breaded chicken strips then serve them up with impossibly fluffy Belgian style waffles. Then we stacked the sandwiches with mustard, bacon, pickles and even a drizzle of sugar-free maple syrup! Serve these for brunch on a special occasion, and you won’t soon forget it.
If you want to make these ahead of time, just store the waffles and chicken strips separately. Then you can stack the sandwiches at your leisure. The waffles also freeze well!
Yields 4 servings of Keto Chicken and Waffle Sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 large eggs, yolks and whites separated
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon erythritol
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 medium chicken breasts
- 1 large egg
- Oil, for frying
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
Optional: Sugar-free syrup, bacon, pickles, and mustard.
1. Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise. Cut these pieces in half lengthwise also, creating four strips per chicken breast. Soak the strips in buttermilk overnight.
2. Take the chicken out of the buttermilk then season with salt, pepper, cayenne powder, and paprika.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg then set the bowl aside. In a separate bowl mix the almond flour, plus some salt and pepper together. Coat each piece of chicken in the egg, then the almond flour. Coat each piece in the egg, and then the almond flour again so that there are two layers of breading.
4. Preheat some olive oil in a skillet, then quickly cook both sides of each chicken strip so that the outside browns. Place each piece of chicken on a baking sheet then cover with foil. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
5. Preheat your waffle maker. Whisk the egg yolks, milk, erythritol, melted butter, and vanilla together in a mixing bowl. Whisk in the almond flour and salt until no lumps are remaining.
6. Beat the egg whites with a hand mixer until they form stiff peaks. Carefully fold the eggs into the waffle batter, adding half at a time.
7. Grease the waffle maker, then add 1/3 cup portions of the batter and cook each waffle for 5-6 minutes or until browned.
8. Serve the waffles with a piece of chicken on top and some mustard. Add a slice of bacon and two pickles onto each, then sandwich with another waffle and drizzle with sugar-free maple syrup. Pierce with a toothpick to keep the stack together when serving.
This makes a total of 4 servings of Keto Chicken and Waffle Sandwiches. Each serving comes out to be 420.9 Calories, 27.51g Fats, 6.9g Net Carbs, and 33.53g Protein.
|Keto Chicken and Waffle Sandwiches||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|3 large eggs||215||14||1.1||0||1.1||19|
|¼ cup milk||31||1.2||3||0||3||2.1|
|1 cup almond flour||648||56||24||14||10||24|
|1 teaspoon vanilla||12||0||0.5||0||0.5||0|
|1 tablespoon erythritol||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 cup buttermilk||98||2.2||12||0||12||8.1|
|2 medium chicken breasts||396||8.6||0||0||0||74|
|1 large egg||71.7||4.7||0.4||0||0.4||6.3|
|1 teaspoon paprika||6.5||0.3||1.2||0.8||0.4||0.3|
|¼ teaspoon cayenne powder||1.4||0.1||0.3||0.1||0.2||0.1|