Chicken tenders are pretty much my staple food when we go out to eat, I’m very picky and usually keep it simple when ordering off a menu, I know with chicken tenders I can’t go wrong because they are delicious! I often make chicken at home but when it comes to recreating those restaurant-style tenders it is not easy to do unless you want to use a lot of oil to cook them in.. I was determined to try my best to make them crispy and tasty, these everything seasoned chicken tenders are AMAZING! I love everything but the bagel seasoning, I usually buy the Trader Joes brand and I was lucky I had about 5 bottles stored in my cupboard, haha, with the borders closed I can’t get over to the U.S, but a lot of other seasoning companies will make something similar so check around if you can’t get your hands on the Trader Joes one.. You could also make your own, I included at the bottom of the recipe what is in this the TJ’s one. Using panko crumbs and toasting them first really created a nice crispy chicken tender, I cooked them both in the oven and the air fryer and while the air fryer ones were a little crispier, the oven ones were just as good. A 5oz serving is 2SP on blue & purple and 5SP on the green program.
- 24 oz boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1¼ cup panko crumbs
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 5 Tbsp everything but the bagel seasoning
- First we need to toast the panko crumbs, this will give the chicken tenders that crispy coating.. Add some cooking spray to the bottom of the frying pan and warm over medium heat, add the panko crumbs, stir occasionally for approximately 10-15 minutes or until the crumbs are a nice brown toasted color .. Place crumbs on a flat plate.
- Preheat oven to 400F or if using the air fryer set at 375F *Note both cooking methods worked well, the air fryer tenders were a little bit crispier than the oven cooked ones.
- Cut the chicken into strips, these can be whatever size you’d like to make them, my chicken breasts were huge so my strips were a decent size.
- Mix the flour with 1 Tbsp of the seasoning and put on a flat plate.
- Whisk the eggs with the buttermilk and place in a bowl big enough for dipping the chicken pieces in.
- Add remaining 4 Tbsp of the seasoning to the toasted panko *Note feel free to add more seasoning if you want them stronger-tasting.
- Line a baking sheet with some parchment paper if you are cooking in the oven.
- Dip each chicken piece into the flour, then the egg mixture and finish off with the panko mixture. Place on the baking tray or in the air fryer, repeat with all cut chicken strips.
- Bake in the oven for 20-22 minutes or in the air fryer for 15 minutes. Makes approximately 5- 5oz servings
- Store any leftovers in the fridge, these chicken tenders will freeze well.
- *Note- I used Trader Joe’s EBTBS, if you can’t get this one many seasoning companies will sell something similar or make your own.. Check out Pinterest for some help, Trader Joe’s seasoning is a combination of sesame seeds, sea salt flakes, dried minced garlic, dried minced onion, black sesame seeds and poppy seeds.
- *Note- when figuring out the points in the WW app I only entered ¼ cup of flour not the ⅓ you used, reason for this is there will be a lot of flour left but you need that amount so you have enough on the plate to coat the chicken pieces.
Smart Points- Green- 5 using WW recipe builder
Points Plus- 6 using PP calculator
Nutritional info per 5oz serving…Calories 261…Fat 5.7g…Sat fat 1.5g…Crabs 15.9g…Fiber 0.6g…Sugar 1.4g…Protein 34.5g using My Fitness Pal